Uderzo sells his share in Editions AlbertRene

Let's talk about Asterix here...

Moderator: Jochgem

Antworten
Jochgem
AsterIX Elder Council Member
Uderzo sells his share in Editions AlbertRene

Beitrag: # 22736Beitrag Jochgem »

Albert Uderzo has sold his 40% share in his own publishing company AlbertRene, which he started to have a better control over publishing the Asterix books. Daughter Goscinny also sold her 20% share, but daughter Uderzo preferred not to follow her father, and to keep her 40%.

This is the source on the internet
http://www.actuabd.com/Albert-Uderzo-ve ... a-Hachette
If you understand French better than I do, let us know more about these important developments.

Thanks Liam, thanks Jaap, for referring to this item.

Jochgem
[edit] PS. I now see this is my 200st post. Appropriate number for such an important issue.
Hendrik Jan

Asterix in 100+ translations at: http://www.asterix-obelix.nl/manylanguages
Christine

Re: Uderzo sells his share in Editions AlbertRene

Beitrag: # 22767Beitrag Christine »

So... what's interesting in that...
Quick browsing and translation, so poor English I'm afraid.

Hachette is now controlling the copyright for all Asterix products.
This is not surprising, because when Uderzo -after a long legal procedure- was given back the rights on his first 24 albums -previously edited by Dargaud (*)-, he did not choose Albert-René, but Hachette. Explanation is that integrating these 24 albums into Albert-René would impair the balance between copyright-owners and shareholders, because of the presence of Anne Goscinny among the shareholders.
There's been some quarrel between Uderzo and his daughter in the past 18 months about the management of company ; she lost her position.
Uderzo's decision is a wise one, because he has chosen a neutral, competent and powerful company - neutral because they played no part in the previous legal suits and quarrels.
(*) the decision to leave Dargaud was motivated by Uderzo feeling humiliated when editor Dargaud said after Gocinny passed away : "Goscinny is dead, Asterix is dead".
(conclusion) This follows a trend in the world of comics. More and more famous comics are continued by new talents after their original creator passed away, and managed by large-scale editors. It is just a question of business transmission.
Jochgem

Beitrag: # 22777Beitrag Jochgem »

Thank you very much for your translation. Even if quick you have details that I was not certain of when reading the French original.
Christine hat geschrieben:So... what's interesting in that...
It is interesting because AR was what I understood a more or less personal project by Albert Uderzo. Also, it has a little explanation why AR was a little silent last year. Like the article says, it feels like the end of a period.
Let's hope for a few big surprises in the next special anniversary year of Asterix!

Jochgem
Hendrik Jan

Gast

Beitrag: # 22783Beitrag Gast »

I'm afraid you misunderstood me, and felt I was impolite.
I did not mean "so what buddy , what d'ye find interesting about that ?? ".

I meant "OK, let's browse through that and see what is interesting" because I wanted to translate only the most relevant items.

I do apologize ; I really meant no offence and on the contrary I appreciated this piece of information.
Jochgem

Beitrag: # 22785Beitrag Jochgem »

Guest hat geschrieben:I'm afraid you misunderstood me
Thank you for the clarification. I did misunderstand you, but I did not think you were impolite. I read your comment as "Isn't this a logical step, so why are you surprised". Thanks again for the clear translation.
Hendrik Jan

Antworten