Irish references in „Asterix in Britain”.

Let's talk about Asterix here...

Moderator: Jochgem

Antworten
Maik

Irish references in „Asterix in Britain”.

Beitrag: # 26707Beitrag Maik »

In “Asterix in Britain” while the story mainly satirizes (jolly old) England we got some references to Scotland -
:asterix: A character with “Mc” in the name who spoke a strong Scottish accent (in English version any way)
:asterix: Bagpipes players
:asterix: And a joke when a guy assumes our heroes are Scots [Caledonians] because they both one cup for three people.

My question is – are there any references to Ireland in the story, other then a character with the traditional “O” in the name? [He bearly had any lines from what I recall, but I guess he could told something which was a specyfic refrence or a quote ect.]
I assume there must be some in English version of the book, but I read the English version long time ago and I don't own it at the moment.
fazul

Re: Irish references in „Asterix in Britain”.

Beitrag: # 36385Beitrag fazul »

I don't think that there is any reference to Ireland, other than saying that among the people in the besieged village there were Hibernians (one of whom is a stocky type called "O'Torinolaringologix" in the French version).

On the other hand, both "O'" and "Mac" are Irish and Scottish.
syed20

Beitrag: # 49117Beitrag syed20 »

I remember this quote from the Asterix books years ago. It was usually said by some the Legionaries after they had been beaten up. I am now looking all over for a reference to them. Does anyone know which Asterix comics this line appears in?

"Join up they said!....Travel the world they said..." - somethin glike that anyway.
Remix

Beitrag: # 49124Beitrag Remix »

syed20 hat geschrieben: "Join up they said!....Travel the world they said..." - somethin glike that anyway.
In the german version of "olympic games", p14, fig6, a roman soldier said sth like that: "Meldet euch, hieß es. In der Legion findet ihr eine Atmosphäre echter Kameradschaft, hieß es."
(literal interpretation: "Join up they said. In the army you'll find comradly atmosphere they said.")

Strike?
Limerix

Beitrag: # 49920Beitrag Limerix »

I'm pretty sure there was an Irish chief in it called O' Veroptimistix.
Antworten