little discoveries in The Big Fight

Let's talk about Asterix here...

Moderator: Jochgem

Antworten
jaap toorenaar

little discoveries in The Big Fight

Beitrag: # 11671Beitrag jaap toorenaar »

It is interesting to read the wellknown story in another translation. Every translator has his difficulties but sometimes also surprising solutions. For instanceBig Fight p.18,1. The french original has "futur vaincu" (soon besieged" I suppose). The english version presents a Latin phrase: victurus te saluto. This is a variation of the famous "morituri te salutant", presumably said by gladiators to the emperor as they enter the Circus: "those who are destined to die are saluting you" becomes "I, who am going to win salute you".
Then there is the playing with words related to "pot" (20,9 "pot luck" or 21,6 "pot shots"). The name Infirmopurpus (21,1) pleases me. I 15,1 Vitalstatistix starts his speech by saying "Friends, Gauls, countrymen" - allusion to Shakespeares opening-sentence by Marc Antony in "Julius Caesar" ("Friends, ROMANS, Countrymen, lend me your ears"). 27,8 "Gone with the wind" reminds of the famous cinema film.
Finally three questions on details:
1. 16,4 The order of the BATH" must contain some allusion to something I don't recognize; what is it?
2. 23,3 What is the joke in "body and SOLE"?
3. 25,1 "Pompey's body lies a-mouldering in the grave but his sole (again!) goes marching on" This must be a play with some wellknown english song, I suppose? Is it a phrase from the famous "glory, glory, hallelujah"?
Jaap
Jochgem
AsterIX Elder Council Member
Beitrag: # 11672Beitrag Jochgem »

wikipedia: The Most Honourable Order of the Bath

John Brown's body

Sole vs. Soul?

HJ "Jochgem"
Hendrik Jan

Asterix in 100+ translations at: http://www.asterix-obelix.nl/manylanguages
Jochgem
Beitrag: # 11673Beitrag Jochgem »

ps. Now of course I realize this can be found in the Asterix Annotations

HJ "Jochgem"
Hendrik Jan

invisifan

Beitrag: # 11674Beitrag invisifan »

1. The Order of the Bath is a well-known Order of English Knights
  2. Sole is a common fish (the cauldron smells of fish), whereas "Soul" which sounds the same, is divine spirit ("keeping body & soul together" is a flowery but once very common expression for staying alive)
  3. The song (John Brown's Body) is actually American, and yes, the music from it was later used for "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" (the chorus of which is the famous "glory, glory, hallelujah") ... as for the repeat of sole ... A&O are both making fish jokes at this point due to the smell (and "sole" can also mean the bottom of the foot or shoe (the fish was named for its physical resemblence to a sandal) -- quite appropriate to "marching on")
invisifan

Beitrag: # 11675Beitrag invisifan »

That's what I get for such elaborate replies -- Jochgem got there first & more concisely :oops:

I'm surprised you didn't mention Cassius Ceramix' name though, since it really is one of the cleverest bits of translation ever IMHO anyway ...
Sofie

Beitrag: # 11682Beitrag Sofie »

Don't worry invisfan, you're the best!! :grin:

P.S. Today I am together with my boyfriend for four whole years!! party :)
Jochgem
Beitrag: # 11683Beitrag Jochgem »

invisifan hat geschrieben:Sole is a common fish
Ah! My original interpretation was the sole under your feet. Because of the 'marching on'.
Sofie hat geschrieben:Don't worry invisfan, you're the best!
Yes, it is hard to keep up with invisifan, but we try to do what we can :-D

HJ "Jochgem"
Hendrik Jan

Antworten