Julius Caesar's character

Let's talk about Asterix here...

Moderator: Jochgem

Antworten
Wussycat

Julius Caesar's character

Beitrag: # 11770Beitrag Wussycat »

I'm glad that Julius Caesar isn't portrayed as a stereotypical, evil-for-the-sake-of-being-evil villain.

He wants to take over the whole of Gaul, but he's a man of honour. He even stuck to his bet of standing down as caesar if Asterix passed twelve tests.

Although, it was out of continuity.
shr

Beitrag: # 11771Beitrag shr »

12 tasks did take a few liberties with history, it's true .. but then again, the film acknowledges this iitself at the end when Obelix realises he's in a cartoon and goes dancing with the sirens ...

I think G&U established Caesar's character brilliantly in the first page of the series when Vercingetorix throws his weapons at Caesar's feet and Caesar hops about in agony clutching his feet. Caesar is a mixture of classical pomposity, genuine dignity and absurdity. I'm not so sure he's evil, more annoyed that the villagers are the one thing interrupting his own mythos that 'all gauls is occupied.' All gaul? and so on, as his enemies in the sentae are quick to remind him. Most of the real villanous romans want to take the gaul's powers and use them to overthrow Caesar; either that or they want to impress him by solving this little problem. My favourite Caesar stories are those in which he tries to conquer the gauls economically rather than militarily - Obelix&co, Mansion of the Gods. And his best line - I came, I saw and I couldn't believe my eyes!
Antworten