TinTin in Asterix

Let's talk about Asterix here...

Moderator: Jochgem

SuperVegito

TinTin in Asterix

Beitrag: # 5065Beitrag SuperVegito »

In Asterix Book # 25 (Asterix in Belgium) pg 31, there is a camoe appearance of the Thompson and Thomson (detectives from TINTIN). Not only their faces, but their dialogues also resembled the detectives from TINTIN (To be precise...).
Ofcourse this was intentional, but i want to know why did Uderzo copy artworks from Tintin. Surely it was completely unnescessary. Was thier any kind of dsicussion about this? I REALLY want to know MORE about this appearance.
jaap_toorenaar
AsterIX Druid

Re: TinTin in Asterix

Beitrag: # 5066Beitrag jaap_toorenaar »

hi,
This is not the only spot, where Uderzo copies work by colleagues. One of the pirates (Eric) is a full copy of an existing figure (coming from Redbeard); the longtailed animal Marsipulami (originally drawn by Franquin) is copied in The Big Fight etc. I think it is just a small respectful "hommage" to the work of others - in your example to Hergé. The copied author rather felt flattered than plundered I suppose,
Jaap
Bernard

Beitrag: # 5067Beitrag Bernard »

Also, the similarity in hairstyles between Tintin and the Belgian legionary Gastronomix in Asterix The Legionary seems more than a coincidence.
Idefiks

Beitrag: # 5068Beitrag Idefiks »

And the oposite happens as well:

Asterix and Obelix appear in a Superman action:

http://www.lofficier.com/superman.htm

ACTION COMICS #579 (DC, 1986)
"Prisoners of Time"
Written by Lofficier; Art by Keith Giffen

In this homage to renowned French comics series ASTERIX, SUPERMAN and JIMMY OLSEN are drawn back in time to a small village of indomitable Gauls.
geopolitix

Beitrag: # 5069Beitrag geopolitix »

"Of course this was intentional, but i want to know why did Uderzo copy artworks from Tintin"

Simple. Tintin is a belgian comic strip (hergé was Belgian)
There are other allusions to Belgian characters, real or imaginary.
The wife of the main Belgian chieftain is Annie Cordy a well-known singer in France and Belgium.
The running messenger is "Lucky Luke" (another Franco-Belgian "Bande Dessinée" (graphic novel/comic strip in french) whose the writer was Goscinny drawned by morris)
Nothing more comes to mind right now but it could be more.
geopolitix

Beitrag: # 5070Beitrag geopolitix »

Anticus hat geschrieben:Also, the similarity in hairstyles between Tintin and the Belgian legionary Gastronomix in Asterix The Legionary seems more than a coincidence.
Definitely, it's a tintin reference, tintin being Belgian (though in all his books his country is undetermined).
Tintin is a Belgian comic book.
Wenleyix3

Beitrag: # 5071Beitrag Wenleyix3 »

Asterix is seen in a crowd scene in "Tintin and the Picaros"!
Erik
AsterIX Druid

Beitrag: # 5072Beitrag Erik »

Hello,
geopolitix hat geschrieben:The running messenger is "Lucky Luke"
do you mean the running messenger in Asterix in Belgium, p. 39? If so, I would be very surprised. I never heard about him to be a caricature of Lucky Luke. The (german) Comedix-site says, that this would be a caricature of Eddy Merckx, a famous cyclist.

Perhaps there's some other running messenger in the Asterix-comics, which is really a caricature of Morris' famous cowboy, but this one doesn't look much like Lucky Luke, I think.

Regards
Erik
"Alle sollt ihr noch sehen, daß ich habe recht!" (Erik der Blonde, Die große Überfahrt, S. 5)
geopolitix

Beitrag: # 5073Beitrag geopolitix »

that's the one I was talking about but you may be right about Merckx (though I think the face morphology looks a bit like Lucky Luke).
I am too young to know how E. merckx was looking like, but it may be more logical that it was him, my mistake.  :P
Christian
AsterIX Village Elder

Beitrag: # 5074Beitrag Christian »

geopolitix hat geschrieben:I am too young to know how E. merckx was looking like
http://images.google.de/images?svnum=10 ... btnG=Suche
geopolitix

Beitrag: # 5075Beitrag geopolitix »

Thank you. On some pics he indeed resembles the Uderzo's drawing, especially the nose (BTW very different of Lucky Luke's nose but I have to admit that the last time I read a Lucky Luke's book I was quite young and I didn't even read them that much ...)
rose

Beitrag: # 5076Beitrag rose »

Maybe it was only a parody? In AsteriŸ there are many parodies of famous evenements or people, for example Jacques Chirac, Sean Connery or Kirk Douglas. I do not know TinTin, so maybe it is not a parody, but who knows...
Bernard

Beitrag: # 5077Beitrag Bernard »

There are also I guess, some incidental parallels/similarities between the two comic series. One of the more obvious ones would be between the two canine heroes Dogmatix and Snowy. Although there are also more subtle ones like for example in the Tintin adventure, King Ottokar's Sceptre, we see a panel of forest animals running for cover during a burst of "singing" from Signora Castafiore; later on in the same album there is also a redundant rooster scene whose crowing is interrupted by an explosion. :)
Maik

Beitrag: # 5078Beitrag Maik »

It's true they are similar.

In bouth seris we have a brave, clever smart and hero who seam to be more mature then the rest of the cast. [Tintin/Asterix]

They bouth have a good friend, a humoristic companion who have some bad habit [Obelix/Captin.... I fogot his name]

We have similar small dogs [Dogmatix/Snowy]

We have a some sort of a old man who is very smart [Getafix/Prof. Calculus]

We have a singer who don't play a part in storys very often but is moustly for gags [Cacofonix/Bianca Catastrofe.... As far I remeber it's here name]
SingingGandalf

Beitrag: # 10463Beitrag SingingGandalf »

Maik hat geschrieben:They bouth have a good friend, a humoristic companion who have some bad habit [Obelix/Captin.... I fogot his name
It's Captain Archibald Haddock.
And the singer in Tintin is called Bianca Casafiore.
Antworten